Sunday, February 21, 2010

Food Inc.

Throughout my life I have gathered much information from my surroundings and experiences, and before watching Food Inc., I had already realized that the food industry is not an entirely honest one. Unfortunately it seems too much to ask of those who run the entire thing, to do so with the public's well-being in mind. As a consumer, while it does seem like we have almost infinite choices in what we buy (brand, quantity, price, etc.), in reality we actually don't. Not when huge corporations own practically everything we buy, and multiple brands as well. For example I have heard that big name brands also own their equivalent store brand products as well, so it creates competition with itself. In addition to this, just the general knowledge that corporations as a whole aren't entirely honest with the public, has left me desensitized and cynical of everything I see, though I also believe in giving some the benefit of the doubt. Because of this cynicism, it is hard for me to believe that something is really fat free or all-natural...since according to Food Inc., they don't have to label everything entirely, so why can't they put on labels that aren't entirely true, like beefing up a resumé? There are many more thoughts I could express about this whole subject, but we only did see a few clips.

No comments:

Post a Comment